|Correlation||2008 Grade |
As with Sporting news I will start by looking at the correlation between The Quads predictions for the Mid American Conference and those posted on MAC Smack
The Quad Countdown (2009)
|Ball State||Bowling Green|
|Northern Illinois||Bowling Green|
In the east the high correlation score is due to parity more than anything else. While I disagree with three of the seven teams we are, most one or two off on these instance, this keeps the score high. When the season is played the difference between first and fourth (or even fifth) could be one division loss and some tie breakers.
Paul Myerberg had a very difficult time picking the east last year. He Picked last place Miami first (as did most publications) and third placed Temple to finish last.
|Western Michigan||Bowling Green|
|Central Michigan||Bowling Green|
So far here are the polls I have seen for their east and their scores:
|Sporting News||The Quad|
|2008 Grade East||61||40|
|2008 Grade West||96||79|
- Penalty Points: For every spot off a team is between predictions a single point is taken off (Example: SN picked Central to win the West, I picked them second so that's minus one per team, or I picked Temple to win the East and SN pick them to finish third that would be minus two).
- Total Points: The total points is the maximum number of penalty points for a division, for the 6 team west that is 18 points and for the 7 team east that is 24 points.
- Score: The penalty points are taken from the total points (18 for the west, 24 for the east) and then a simple percentage is calculated. For the west there were two penalty points (one for CMU and one for WMU) so that's 16 points out of a possible 18 or 88.5%
- Predict the Conference Champ: 10 points, if your predicted champ finishes second, 5 points.
- Predict the Worst Team in the conference 6 points, if your predicted worst finisher places second to last, 3 points.
- For each team in the west if you predict correctly their place 14 points, if you are one place off 12 points, two places off 9 points, three places off 5 points, four places off 1 point.
- For each team in the east correctly predicting correctly will get you 12, one place off 11, two places off 8 three places off 5, four places off 2, five places off 1.